This place is first settled in Wroclaw, in the 8th century (listen to the wings of history!). First bishopric was founded in 1000, and the Cathedral Island was the centre of Wroclaw before 1240. Then the Tatars "razed the place” and city started to develop on the other side of the river Oder (Odra). However, the Island is still a religious center for Wroclaw. Without expansion of shops, cafes and bars it really feels like a sanctuary: beautiful and peaceful as it was kilometers from city.
|Tumski Bridge – The Green Bridge.|
|Married couples bring padlocks and attach them to bridge to demonstrate their never-ending love.|
|Original gas lamps on Cathedral street.|
|Entrance of the Church of Holy Cross. Rare church as having two levels, and two parishes.|
|Monument of Pope John XXIII – erected nearby St Martin’s Church, exceptionally during communist regime. Church itself backs to the 14th century.|